Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mika Miko ---- Sex Jazz


Last night, Steven and I went to see LA-based girl punk band Mika Miko here in town. After four or five decent opening bands, we were all a little tired, but Mika Miko played such a fun set that I walked out with a large bump on the back of my head, a gash in my thigh, and now it hurts when I open my mouth really wide; and Steven left the place with his glasses slightly crooked.
The band is really quite a charmer: Full of girls (and one guy) who look hardly tough enough to play softball get up to stage with their cute dresses and microphones and you feel like they are your sister's friends playing around with your gear. Then they start playing and immediately feelings of jealousy, lust and pure joy fill your body and you can't help but wiggle your tush and start throwing elbows at the punks in the room.
About halfway through their relatively short time on stage, one of the singers pulls out the saxophone. Before I even noticed, Steven turned to me and put his hands in front of his body and wiggles his fingers, indicating that this was a wood song, and we were gonna love it. I wiggled my way up to the front, so that I was standing inches from the sax player and couldn't help but doing the twist while occasionally turning to push anyone near me as hard as I could into the kids against the wall.
The song they were playing was "Sex Jazz" from their newest album We Be Xuxa. On the album, the song is organized back and forth from high sliding guitars, a deep bass groove, steady woodblock hits, and of course the simple, yet killer sax honks and wails. The tough-girl vocals are short, sweet, and hard to decipher. In concert, it was just a fucking bad-ass punk song with a saxophone. This band manages to pump out hard punk tracks and cause kids to punch each other in the head, while still maintaining the cutest stage-presence I've seen since Love Is All . One guy took off his pants (and his underwear), and I will admit it was hard not to do the same.

here you can listen to "sex jazz"
http://www.20jazzfunkgreats.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/mika_miko-sex_jazz_extended1.mp3

- Kimmy Gibbler

No comments:

Post a Comment